This blog is devoted to my John Welsford designed 15' Navigator yawl Ellie. I built her in my garage over a period of 18 months and launched her in 2011. She sports a sliding gunter main, roller furled jib and sprit-boomed mizzen. Her construction is glued-lapstrake over permanent bulkheads and stringers. This blog is a record of her construction and her voyages here in the Puget Sound area and (hopefully) a useful resource for fellow Navigator builders.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Build your own Scamp with John Welsford himself!

Big news in the SCAMP world. The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding is launching a very special "Build a SCAMP" course this summer (August 6th) here in Port Townsend, WA.

What will make the two-week-long course especially notable is that the instructor is SCAMP designer, John Welsford, who is flying in from New Zealand especially to teach 12 students to build 12 SCAMPs.

If that wasn't enough, the NWSWBB has partnered with the Northwest Maritime Center on the course, so all 12 SCAMPs will be built at the NW Maritime facility down on the water in Port Townsend—the birthplace of SCAMP #1.

Students will spend two weeks with John Welsford and two shop assistants building their own SCAMP from the Small Craft Advisor kit made by Turnpoint Design. Students can trailer home their mostly completed SCAMP at the end of two weeks, or opt to extend their stay for as long as two additional weeks.

Details are just being finalized. For more information check the SCA magazine message board or contact the NWSWBB at: (360) 385-4948 or http://www.nwboatschool.org

3 comments:

  1. I cannot begin to describe how envious I am of where you live - Port Townsend sounds like my kinda place!

    Steve
    Arwen's meanderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Will you please record building steps of the Scamp. Maybe it could be a tutorial we could purchase. I want to build a Scamp, but have limited building experience and I believe seeing the steps would bolster my confidence and ability.

    It would be difficult for me to make the build at Townsend. Live in Iowa so I would have to drive, build it (fun), then trailer it back. My funds are sort of strained but I figure I could buy a kit and build it here in Iowa but I don't feel I could swing the travel and class fee (though it is extremely reasonable and generous of you all to offer so much for the tuition). I have built a pdracer and a stitch-n-glue kayak and do I ever use them. Introduced another person to sailing just 2 weeks ago in the pdracer. I have given 5 people rides in it too this season.
    Love what you are doing, God bless.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave,
    I won't be at the SCAMP workshop, but I'll ask them if they plan on making a DVD.

    The SCAMP plans include a 90+ page building manual, making them the most thoroughly detailed set of plans I've ever heard of.

    ReplyDelete