This blog is devoted to my John Welsford designed 15' Navigator yawl Ellie. I built her in my garage over a period of 18 months and launched her in 2011. She sports a sliding gunter main, roller furled jib and sprit-boomed mizzen. Her construction is glued-lapstrake over permanent bulkheads and stringers. This blog is a record of her construction and her voyages here in the Puget Sound area and (hopefully) a useful resource for fellow Navigator builders.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Well, that's more like it.

Sunday's daysail was much more relaxing. The winds started out very light, so I figured this would be a good time to try the classic Gaff Cam trick. The trickiest part is guessing what angle to aim the camera at. After a couple attempts, the afternoon sea breeze started to kick in so I mounted the camera on other parts of the boat.  The breeze built to the point where I eventually went to one reef in the main, then it died off a bit. No Jib and Mizzen this time!  I ended up taking a trip around the north end of Jetty Island to check out the ospreys that nest atop the pilings there.

Here's a video of the day's sail, set to more of my favorite Blue Man Group music.  Hope you enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Man, you have way too much fun with that boat! Looks like a great time!

    I'm sad I didn't get to meet up with you today. We were hoping to run into you. Hope you didn't get caught up in any of that horrible traffic- took us nearly 4 hours to get to the school today, and had an hour wait on the ferry back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes, I am super jealous! Hope you're able to get out on the water this weekend. Great weather for it!

      Delete
    2. I was torn. I really wanted to go to see the boat school, see John again, and have dinner at the Ajax Cafe, but on the other hand it's a long and expensive trip to haul the boat over there and the tides were unfavorable for launching. The weather report looked perfect for sailing here so I opted for that at the last minute. Turned out the winds were not that great and I spent half the day baking in the sun so I probably should have gone.

      I see you got to meet JohnW. That's awesome. Did you get to sail on Scamp? Any news about Scamp Camp? It sold out as I recall.

      Delete
    3. I completely understand- and given traffic conditions it would have been a rough time getting out there for such a short day's worth of sailing.

      It was great to meet him, sounds like he may be back next year, perhaps for another SCAMP camp. So here's to hoping I can get Rio done in that time. The camp is completely full- I'm so excited to see how it goes! I'm sure the participants will have a fantastic time.

      Nope, no sailing for me. The fellow who owns #1 wasn't there when we were, although it was worth it alone to meet Welsford and to see the SCAMP in the water. I really would have loved to see her under sail though. Looks like he arrived shortly after we left, so we missed out- I am pretty bummed about that.

      I'll be heading out there again on Saturday, apparently there's an open house to see the progress on the boats. I may try to get out there during the week, although we are down to one car at the moment so who knows at this point.

      Delete
  2. what? no bowsprit cam?

    Looks like a great sailing day there Joel

    Kevin B
    "Slip Jig"

    ReplyDelete