This blog is devoted to my John Welsford designed 15' Navigator yawl Ellie. I built her in my garage over a period of 18 months and launched her in 2011. She sports a sliding gunter main, roller furled jib and sprit-boomed mizzen. Her construction is glued-lapstrake over permanent bulkheads and stringers. This blog is a record of her construction and her voyages here in the Puget Sound area and (hopefully) a useful resource for fellow Navigator builders.

Saturday, April 13, 2013

100,000 page views

It's hard for me to believe, but this blog just passed 100,000 page views.


When I first set up this blog I honestly didn't think anyone would read it.  I don't consider myself a writer by any stretch of the imagination. In the engineering profession we are taught to be brief and to the point. To present the facts and figures.  Anything more is an unnecessary waste of people's time. There is a reason that there are very few novels written by engineers. Nor do I consider myself a very good sailor, or even much of a boat builder.  Ellie is only the second boat I've ever built.  What could I possibly have to offer a community, most of whom seem to have more knowledge and experience than I?

But maybe the reason this blog has had so many page views is for that very reason. Sure, everyone values expert advice, but it's also nice to read stories about the adventures, and misadventures of your peers.

Who knows?  All I know for sure is I am humbled and honored that so many are interested in anything I have to say.

I'd like to thank you all for tuning in.  I hope I can continue to hold your interest in the future.

Oh, and to celebrate this milestone, I've brightened up the place a bit.  Hope you like it.

4 comments:

  1. Joel, I can only speak for myself but, as someone who is building another Welsford design (SCAMP) I'm keen on reading any small boat building info anyone has to offer. Regardless of the history of experience, by just having built a boat one has put a lot of thought and effort into it. I always pick up new ideas and methods. My SCAMP is the 3rd or 4th boat I've built and I can see where it is an "illness" in the best possible way. Once you've built one you always have a list of what you'd like to build.

    I also LOVE reading about peoples adventures in small boats. It can be the local pond or the Pacific.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the new look
    Now whatever made you think that not many would read your blog
    Ye of little faith in oneself!
    Well deserved Joel it is a brilliant blog

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog looks great! Congratulations on hitting 100k. You've got so much great information on this site- I know that number will only keep climbing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joel, its a great site. Much appreciated. I still have a couple of little jobs to do (believe it or not) before Leighton gets wet so its always nice to see what you and the others are up to Regards, Lester

    ReplyDelete