This blog is devoted to my John Welsford designed 15' Navigator yawl Ellie. I built her in my garage over a period of 18 months and launched her in 2011. She sports a sliding gunter main, roller furled jib and sprit-boomed mizzen. Her construction is glued-lapstrake over permanent bulkheads and stringers. This blog is a record of her construction and her voyages here in the Puget Sound area and (hopefully) a useful resource for fellow Navigator builders.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Eastern Washington Moveable Messabout: Day 4

Sept 12, EWMM day4:          Scratch..scratch..scratch..squeeeeek..scratch...scratch..squeek.....
I awoke with a start.  I listened.  There was something outside my tent.  Skreeeeek..scratch..scratch..

Was it ... a bear?

Nearby, in one of my tent's pockets was my camera.  I unzipped my arctic mummy bag just enough to get an arm out. I unzipped my rain fly just enough to get my hand and camera out.  Holding my camera up like a periscope, I recorded a 360 degree panorama.  Then I reversed the entire process.

I viewed the panorama on my camera's tiny 2" screen.

Whew, no bears!  It was safe to climb out of my tent.  Wisps of fog covered the lake. The fading remains of the cold wind that blew all night still rocked our boats on the sandy beach.

The strange sounds turned out to be a nearby dock rubbing against its pilings, and the rustling of my rain fly against the tent.

Today was going to be essentially a travel day.  The plan was to break camp, quickly head back to the launch, retrieve the boats, grab a quick shower, caravan to our next destination (Hunters, WA) and set up camp there.

It was quite cold again, so we started a campfire, had breakfast, broke camp and off we went.  That was when I noticed my centerboard was jammed in the up position, with sand and gravel from rocking on the beach all night long.  There was simply no time to unjam it now.  It would have to wait until we got to camp tonight.

After retrieving the boats, the caravan hit the road, for our 2hr drive from Priest Lake, Idaho to Hunters WA.
After arriving at Lake Roosevelt, we set up camp.  Then it was time to "floss the centerboard".  Dan and I used one of my nylon tie-down straps to "floss" the sand and gravel out of my centerboard case and freed up my jammed centerboard.  I'm really glad I made the cap of my centerboard case removable.

Tomorrow's mission: Explore Lake Roosevelt and the amazing antique cars at Hunters.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Joel - I have just installed a centerboard gasket on my SCAMP that I hope will prevent problems like you encountered, and also reduce turbulence while underway.

    This would be pretty easy to retrofit to Ellie, as there is no modification to the hull. Details are at

    if you are interested.

    -- Dave