This blog is devoted to my John Welsford designed 15' Navigator yawl Ellie. I built her in my garage over a period of 18 months and launched her in 2011. She sports a sliding gunter main, roller furled jib and sprit-boomed mizzen. Her construction is glued-lapstrake over permanent bulkheads and stringers. This blog is a record of her construction and her voyages here in the Puget Sound area and (hopefully) a useful resource for fellow Navigator builders.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Rollover

I sometimes wonder how many people dream of building a boat, but never realize their dream because they are intimidated by various aspects of the project.  They may wonder if they will be able to acquire the necessary skills.  Or they may wonder if they have the perseverance to see the project through, or perhaps worry that the costs might escalate out of control.

I would venture to say that everyone has these doubts.  I certainly have.  But one of the many lessons I have learned is that boatbuilding is simply a series of small jobs, and each of these jobs is usually easier to accomplish than you think.  In fact most of them leave you wondering why you even fretted in the first place.

For example, let's consider the job of rolling a Navigator over.  This is one of those jobs that really intimidated me.  How many people would I need?  Four?  Six?  More? Do I need blocks and tackle? Should I build some sort of rolling cage?  What if we drop the boat?  Would someome get injured?

Let's find out...